Frequently asked insurance questions

What types of things can lower my premium?

AMany things can lower your premium. One of the easiest things you can do to save money is to bundle both your homeowner and auto insurance with AHI. Changing the amount of your deductible may also reduce your total insurance premium expense. Feel free to call us anytime to discuss more ways to lower your costs: 888-325-8108

When do I need to start thinking about homeowner’s insurance?

AIt’s best to start thinking about your insurance options between 60 days and a month before closing so you aren’t faced with last minute decisions. We can run the numbers for you based on different coverage scenarios to help you make the right choices.

What is a deductible?

AA deductible is a specified amount of money that you would need to pay out-of-pocket before your insurance would cover any expenses in the event that you need to file a claim. Deductibles are applied on a per-incident basis for each covered loss.

Example: A home is covered under a policy with a $500 deductible. The home was damaged by fire in January and then by hail in May. Assuming each incident is a covered loss under the policy, they would be treated as two separate losses and the deductible would apply for each loss. If the home had suffered hail damage and was hit by lightning causing a fire during the same storm, the $500 deductible would only apply once.

When I need to change my policy, do I go through you or the insurance carrier?

AThe great thing about working with AHI is that we provide ongoing service to you, no matter which insurance carrier you choose through us. Going straight to the insurance carrier is also an option, but you can call us anytime to ask advice or reevaluate your coverage.

Will AHI provide support after my home purchase?

A Absolutely. Contact us anytime at 888-325-8108 for advice, to review your coverage or to see if bundling your auto or life insurance could save you money.

Does AHI charge any additional fees?

ANo. Working as an independent insurance broker allows us to offer you options from a range of insurance carriers, but we don’t charge you any additional fees for this service.

Do I have to get flood and earthquake insurance?

AIt depends on where you’re purchasing your home. Your mortgage company will tell you if flood or earthquake insurance is required for you area. If it’s not required, you may still opt to add this protection voluntarily where it’s available.

Equal Housing Opportunity © 2014 Richmond American Homes.